Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases
Date
List pgsql-general
undisclosed user <lovetodrinkpepsi@gmail.com> writes:
> I have hit a wall on completing a solution I am working on. Originally, the
> app used a db per user (on MyIsam)....the solution did not fair so well in
> reliability and performance. I have been increasingly interested in Postgres
> lately.

> Currently, I have about 30-35k users/databases. The general table layout is
> the same....only the data is different. I don't need to share data across
> databases. Very similar to a multi-tenant design.

Use multiple schemas, not multiple databases.  If you had it working in
mysql then what you were using was more nearly schemas than databases
anyway --- it's unfortunate that the two systems use the same word
"database" for what are really different structures.

            regards, tom lane