Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Interesting LAZY has better efficiency.

"Efficiency" by what measure?  I would think that batch resolution of
symbols would be faster than taking a trap for each one.

> Seems we should just keep LAZY
> as our default for future releases and tell people if they link to bad
> object files, they should expect trouble.

(a) How are they going to find out if the object files are bad, other
than by crashing their database?  I *really* don't like the attitude
that a backend crash is okay.  Under any circumstances, development
or not.

(b) Badness may depend on context, eg LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  So it's not
really safe to assume that if it worked before then you don't have to
worry about it crashing you in production.