Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems)
Date
Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 01:40:17PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > What I would *like* to do is make the same change in all the
> > > port/dynloader files that reference RTLD_LAZY:
> > >     src/backend/port/dynloader/openbsd.h
> >
> > I can't speak for other platforms but openbsd only has RTLD_LAZY.
>
> FreeBSD supports both:
>
>      RTLD_LAZY   Each external function reference is resolved when the func-
>                  tion is first called.
>
>      RTLD_NOW    All external function references are bound immediately by
>                  dlopen().
>
>      RTLD_LAZY is normally preferred, for reasons of efficiency.  However,
>      RTLD_NOW is useful to ensure that any undefined symbols are discovered

Interesting LAZY has better efficiency.  Seems we should just keep LAZY
as our default for future releases and tell people if they link to bad
object files, they should expect trouble.

Pennsylvania19026