Re: PATCH: Add GSSAPI ccache_name option to libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Carter
Subject Re: PATCH: Add GSSAPI ccache_name option to libpq
Date
Re: PATCH: Add GSSAPI ccache_name option to libpq  (Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
Re: PATCH: Add GSSAPI ccache_name option to libpq  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Stephen,

On 20/04/2021 20:01, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'm not necessarily against this, but typically the GSSAPI library
> provides a way for you to control this using, eg, the KRB5_CCACHE
> environment variable.  Is there some reason why that couldn't be used..?

The original motivation for investigating this was setting up a web app
which could authenticate to a database server using a Kerberos ticket.
Since the web framework already needs to create a connection string
(with database name etc.) to set up the database connection, having an
option here for the ccache location makes it much more straightforward
to specify than having to save data out to environment variables (and
makes things cleaner if there are potentially multiple database
connections going on at once in different processes).

There may well be a better way of going about this -- it's just that I
can't currently see an obvious way to get this kind of setup working
using only the environment variable.

Many thanks,
Daniel