Re: Proposal: Remove regress-python3-mangle.mk - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal: Remove regress-python3-mangle.mk
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Yury Zhuravlev <u.zhuravlev@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> Noah Misch wrote:
>> I may not understand that second sentence.  We have multiple buildfarm members
>> verifying the python2 case and multiple members verifying the python3 case.

> I wrote about special python3 features what not testing today. We testing
> Python3 as subset of Python2.

It's not our job to test Python features, especially not version-dependent
features.

> If we do not want to have two different code base, then it is necessary to
> use than this: https://pythonhosted.org/six/
> The license allows us to copy this code into postgres.
> Or use standart Python tool 2to3:
> https://docs.python.org/2/library/2to3.html

You have not explained why we need to change anything.  The current
approach may be a bit of a kluge, but it works fine for our purposes,
AFAICS.  Also, I would bet that those tools would not know anything
about converting PL language names between 'plpythonu' and 'plpython2u'
and 'plpython3u'; so even if we used one of them, we would still need a
layer pretty similar to what we have.