Re: Proposal: Remove regress-python3-mangle.mk - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Yury Zhuravlev
Subject Re: Proposal: Remove regress-python3-mangle.mk
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch wrote:
> Considering we have 2756 lines of Python test SQL and just thirteen lines of
> sed to mangle them, the current method is scaling nicely.
What pitfalls hides this approach? Convert python2 code to python3 it is
really bad practice.

>I may not understand that second sentence.  We have multiple buildfarm members
>verifying the python2 case and multiple members verifying the python3 case.

I wrote about special python3 features what not testing today. We testing
Python3 as subset of Python2.

>The PL/Python implementation does not view them as different languages;
But it is really different languages.

If we do not want to have two different code base, then it is necessary to
use than this: https://pythonhosted.org/six/

The license allows us to copy this code into postgres.
Or use standart Python tool 2to3:
https://docs.python.org/2/library/2to3.html

Thanks.
--