Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow.
Date
Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow.  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Massa, Harald Armin <chef@ghum.de> wrote:
>> # - Memory -
>> shared_buffers = 512MB
>> work_mem = 256MB
> this settings would be good for PostgreSQL on Unix and Unixlike systems.
>
> I got MUCH better results by drastically lowering shared_buffers on
> Windows. Drastically = 8MB.

Wow - really? Greg and I did some rough pgbench experiments last year
and were finding the on a 4GB machine, running XP Pro, 512MB seemed to
be optimal, but it was only marginally better than 128 or 256MB. Going
lower than that made a noticable difference, and going higher we saw
performance dropping off again as well.

--
Dave Page