Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Massa, Harald Armin
Subject Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow.
Date
List pgsql-general
>> I got MUCH better results by drastically lowering shared_buffers on
>> Windows. Drastically = 8MB.
>
> Wow - really? Greg and I did some rough pgbench experiments last year
> and were finding the on a 4GB machine, running XP Pro, 512MB seemed to
> be optimal, but it was only marginally better than 128 or 256MB. Going
> lower than that made a noticable difference, and going higher we saw
> performance dropping off again as well.

Yes, really, I am astonished too. Necessary information: it is a very
low concurrency workload, and system is as low as 1GB.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare