Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow.
Date
Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow.  ("Massa, Harald Armin" <chef@ghum.de>)
List pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Massa, Harald Armin <chef@ghum.de> wrote:
I got MUCH better results by drastically lowering shared_buffers on
Windows. Drastically = 8MB.
Wow - really? Greg and I did some rough pgbench experiments last year
and were finding the on a 4GB machine, running XP Pro, 512MB seemed to
be optimal, but it was only marginally better than 128 or 256MB. Going
lower than that made a noticable difference, and going higher we saw
performance dropping off again as well.
Dave is talking about Greg Stark here, lest anyone credit me for something I wasn't involved in.  I just updated the shared_buffers section of "Tuning Your PostgreSQL Server" to reflect Dave's comments and to generally clean up the Windows suggestions here.  I recall seeing some comments in the past that suggested earlier systems started to fall off at closer to 64MB rather than 128MB, tweaked the wording there accordingly.  8MB working out best is really unexpected though; I'd like to know what you were doing where *that* was the optimal setting.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com