Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow.
Date
In response to Re: Postgres.exe Process taking too much memory and CPU usage - making the system extremely slow.  (Peter Geoghegan <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Incidentally, I seem to recall that there is a way of using greater
> than 2GB of memory on 32-bit XP; It's a matter of turning on the
> so-called "3gb switch":
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Using 3GB user address space may have side effects. Some drivers
(particularly graphics drivers for high-end graphics cards) may not be
happy, for example. It's best used with caution if at all.

These days, if you need it, you're better off just going 64-bit.

--
Craig Ringer