Re: PIVOT tables and crosstab - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PIVOT tables and crosstab
Date
List pgsql-general
Pavel Stehule escribió:
> 2009/12/11 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:

> > I think the standard spelling of this feature is GROUPING SETS along
> > with syntactical sugar CUBE and ROLLUP.  There was a patch for this
> > posted some time ago but it doesn't look like it has moved forward
> > lately.
> >
> > Barring GROUPING SETS, it is very unlikely that crosstab or pivot are
> > going to make it into the core.
>
> I plan start to work on GROUPING SETS early. What I know - GROUPING
> SETS feature is independent on PIVOT/UNPIVOT feature. Personally I
> thing so implementation of PIVOT is simpler than implementation of
> GROUPING SETS.

Hmm, but PIVOT is not on the standard, is it?  As far as I can tell, the
standard wants one to use CUBE and ROLLUP for this kind of thing (and
the standard says that they are syntactical sugar for GROUPING SETS),
but it's possible that I am misreading what they are supposed to do.