Re: PIVOT tables and crosstab - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: PIVOT tables and crosstab
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/12/11 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Simon Windsor wrote:
>
>> Are there any plans to embed crosstab within the main release of
>> Postgres, rather than as a Contrib component.
>>
>> Also, are there plans to enhance crosstab along the lines of Oracle 11g
>> of pivot command?
>
> I think the standard spelling of this feature is GROUPING SETS along
> with syntactical sugar CUBE and ROLLUP.  There was a patch for this
> posted some time ago but it doesn't look like it has moved forward
> lately.
>
> Barring GROUPING SETS, it is very unlikely that crosstab or pivot are
> going to make it into the core.

I plan start to work on GROUPING SETS early. What I know - GROUPING
SETS feature is independent on PIVOT/UNPIVOT feature. Personally I
thing so implementation of PIVOT is simpler than implementation of
GROUPING SETS.

Regards
Pavel Stehule