Upgrading 9.0 to 9.3 - permission denied to pg_upgrade_utility.log - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russell Keane
Subject Upgrading 9.0 to 9.3 - permission denied to pg_upgrade_utility.log
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi,

We’re trying to upgrade a 9.0 database to 9.3 using pg_upgrade. The upgrade must be automated so a manual pg_dump / pg_restore is not an option.

We use the following command:

D:\PostgreSQL\9.3\Data>"c:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin\pg_upgrade.exe" -d "D:\PostgreSQL\Data" -D "D:\PostgreSQL\9.3\Data" -b "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin" -B "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin" -u postgres -c -P 5432

This is on a Windows 7 64 bit environment.

We’ve given the postgres windows user full permissions to all folders involved and are running the upgrade in a cmd prompt opened with runas  /user:postgres

The upgrade works all the way up until the final hurdle where, in the pg_upgrade_utility.log the following statement appears:

command: ""C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin/initdb" --sync-only "D:\PostgreSQL\9.3\Data" >> "pg_upgrade_utility.log" 2>&1"

syncing data to disk ... initdb: could not open file "D:/PostgreSQL/9.3/Data/pg_upgrade_utility.log": Permission denied

It seems odd that the log states that it has no permission to the file that it’s writing the error in but I guessed it might be because both pg_upgrade and initdb are both trying to write to the same file. I therefore tried the initdb command manually and it still fails with the same message.

After this failure, if we try to run PG 9.3 it starts up fine and everything seems to be in order. All the data exists and there are no errors in the PG log at startup. I don’t really want to simply ignore this error but it doesn’t seem to be causing any issues.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Russell Keane

INPS

Tel:         +44 (0)20 7501 7277

Follow us on twitter | visit www.inps.co.uk

Registered name: In Practice Systems Ltd.
Registered address: The Bread Factory, 1a Broughton Street, London, SW8 3QJ
Registered Number: 1788577
Registered in England
Visit our Internet Web site at www.inps.co.uk
The information in this internet email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it by anyone else is not authorised. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of INPS or any of its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient please contact is.helpdesk@inps.co.uk