Re: Connecting with PostgreSQL 9.1 using the Ubuntu machine user and peer authentication method - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Arevalo
Subject Re: Connecting with PostgreSQL 9.1 using the Ubuntu machine user and peer authentication method
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 08/06/2014 03:43 PM, Jorge Arevalo wrote:
Hello,

I want to connect to my local installation of PostgreSQL 9.1 using my
machine user (who is vagrant). So, after reading PostgreSQL
documentation, I thought I just needed to:

1. Add username map in pg_ident.conf:

# MAPNAME       SYSTEM-USERNAME         PG-USERNAME

vp                       vagrant                                postgres

2. Using the map in pg_hba.conf

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

local       all                      all
                   peer map=vp

But I'm getting the error

sql: FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "vagrant"

If I try to connect to my server using psql.

I guess I'm misunderstanding the PostgreSQL manual. But, how could I get
what I need? (locally connect with the user vagrant like if it was the
postgres user)

What OS are you on?

Per:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/auth-methods.html#AUTH-PEER

"Peer authentication is only available on operating systems providing the getpeereid() function, the SO_PEERCRED socket parameter, or similar mechanisms. Currently that includes Linux, most flavors of BSD including Mac OS X, and Solaris."

Linux system  (Ubuntu 12.04). Also tested in Mac OS 10.8.

Forgot to mention: in pg_hba.conf there is a previous line:

local postgres peer

No map specified for that line.

--
Jorge Arevalo