Re: Correct the documentation for work_mem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Imseih (AWS), Sami
Subject Re: Correct the documentation for work_mem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > especially since the next sentence uses "concurrently" to describe the
> > other case.  I think we need a more thorough rewording, perhaps like
> >
> > -       Note that for a complex query, several sort or hash operations might be
> > -       running in parallel; each operation will generally be allowed
> > +       Note that a complex query may include several sort or hash
> > +       operations; each such operation will generally be allowed

> This wording doesn't seem to bring out the fact that there could be
> more than one work_mem consumer running (in-progress) at the same
> time.

Do you mean, more than one work_mem consumer running at the same
time for a given query? If so, that is precisely the point we need to convey
in the docs.

i.e. if I have 2 sorts in a query that can use up to 4MB each, at some point
in the query execution, I can have 8MB of memory allocated.

Regards,

Sami Imseih
Amazon Web Services (AWS)