Re: Move un-parenthesized syntax docs to "compatibility" for few SQL commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Move un-parenthesized syntax docs to "compatibility" for few SQL commands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've attached two patches.  0001 adds a parenthesized CLUSTER syntax that
doesn't require a table name.  0002 is your patch with a couple of small
adjustments.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 07:29:59PM -0400, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> Attached v2 includes changes for CLUSTER syntax docs. I wasn't quite
> sure that we can move down CLUSTER [VERBOSE] syntax to the compatibility
> section since CLUSTER (VERBOSE) doesn't work. This seems like it should
> work (VACUUM and ANALYZE do). I put extra "[ ]" around the main CLUSTER
> syntax but I don't know that this is actually the same as documenting
> that CLUSTER VERBOSE does work but CLUSTER (VERBOSE) doesn't.

I'm not sure about moving CLUSTER [VERBOSE] to the compatibility section,
either.  At the very least, I don't think what I have in 0002 is accurate.
It claims that syntax was used before v14, but it's still the only way to
do a "verbose" CLUSTER without a table name in v15 and v16, too.  Perhaps
we should break it apart, or maybe we can just say it was used before v17.
WDYT?

--
Nathan Bossart

Attachment