Re: Splitting up guc.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker
Subject Re: Splitting up guc.c
Date
Re: Splitting up guc.c
Re: Splitting up guc.c
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>> I think this is localized enough that asking people to manually resolve a
>> conflict around adding a GUC entry wouldn't be asking for that much. And I
>> think plenty changes might be automatically resolvable, despite the rename.
>
> I wonder whether git will be able to figure out that this is mostly a
> code move.  I would expect so for a straight file rename, but will that
> work when we're splitting the file 3 ways?

Git can detect more complicated code movement (see the `--color-moved`
option to `git diff`), but I'm not sure it's clever enough to realise
that a change modifying a block of code that was moved in the meanwhile
should be applied at the new destination.

>             regards, tom lane

- ilmari