Re: implementing an out-of-transaction trigger - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: implementing an out-of-transaction trigger
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Iain" <iain@mst.co.jp> writes:

> Though, as far as I can tell, there is no way to have the notify activate a
> pl/pgsql function directly. I'll still need to write a client program to
> create a session and actually do the listening, that is if I havn't missed
> anything else...

Right, presumably some sort of daemon that sits and waits for events. Much
like you would have with Oracle advanced queuing and such.

The big difference is that NOTIFY doesn't pass along any parameters. You will
need some way for your daemon to find any pending data it needs to process.
You might need some kind of queue table, or you might be able to get by
without one.

--
greg