Re: implementing an out-of-transaction trigger - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Iain
Subject Re: implementing an out-of-transaction trigger
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Mike,

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

A quick quote from the docs:

...if a NOTIFY is executed inside a transaction, the notify events are not
delivered until and unless the transaction is committed. ...if a listening
session receives a notification signal while it is within a transaction, the
notification event will not be delivered to its connected client until just
after the transaction is completed...
This is pretty good so far. Though, as far as I can tell, there is no way to
have the notify activate a pl/pgsql function directly. I'll still need to
write a client program to create a session and actually do the listening,
that is if I havn't missed anything else...

Thanks again,

Iain