Re: implementing an out-of-transaction trigger - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Iain
Subject Re: implementing an out-of-transaction trigger
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Greg,

I would have like to have avoided writing a daemon if possible, but
presumably it should be possible to write one flexible enough to be used in
a variety of situations.

If I didn't use notify, I'd would just be checking for the presence of data
in "transfer areas" or queue tables as you called them on a periodic basis.
This wouldn't change so much using notify, except that instead of writing
the process so as to sleep and periodically check, I can just have it wake
up when the data actually gets there. A minor saving perhaps, but at least I
could use the name of the notification to determine what processing to
activate.

Thanks,
Iain