Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>> On what platforms does ioctl() fail?
>
>> On ssh for example.
>
> That'd certainly be a showstopper if true, but it seems to be okay for
> me.  ssh'ing from an xterm window, and running psql on the remote side,
> I can see with gdb that ioctl(TIOCGWINSZ) succeeds and gives a result
> that correctly tracks window resizes --- indeed there are several bits
> of psql that I'd never have committed if they didn't work in this
> environment, because it's been my everyday work environment for years.

Hum. It appears you're right. I did run a test earlier with ssh and strace
where I saw an error from the ioctl.

I have a sneaking suspicion I ran it within my usual emacs shell session
without realizing.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's RemoteDBA services!