Re: BUG #4053: libpq documentation should express clearly, that integers are passed in network octet order - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Aleksej Saushev
Subject Re: BUG #4053: libpq documentation should express clearly, that integers are passed in network octet order
Date
In response to Re: BUG #4053: libpq documentation should express clearly, that integers are passed in network octet order  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> This brings up a good question.  Exactly how do users know what format
>> _binary_ is?  int4 is network byte order, but what about int8, float4,
>> inet?
>
> This is exactly what libpqtypes solves.  Not only do we handle
> formatting of binary formats, we provide a level of protection from
> internal format changes for libpq users.  See the example here:
> http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/.  So, documentation of binary formats
> (including network byte ordering) are not required.

No, it is still required. There's not a single reference to libpqtypes
in Postgres documentation, and libpqtypes isn't part of the distribution,
if I understand it right.