Re: To OID or not to OID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: To OID or not to OID
Date
List pgsql-general
"David Parker" <dparker@tazznetworks.com> writes:

> Is there any concrete reason NOT to create tables WITHOUT OIDS? We are
> going to have some very large tables in our app, so saving the space and
> not worrying about int-wrap seems like a good idea, but I'm worried that
> I'm missing something.

Nothing in PG depends on user tables having an OID column.  They used
to be a way to get a primary key before SERIAL came along, but they
are now deprecated for user tables.  WITHOUT OIDS will be the default
in a future release.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863