Re: To OID or not to OID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: To OID or not to OID
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 00:23, Doug McNaught wrote:
> Nothing in PG depends on user tables having an OID column.  They used
> to be a way to get a primary key before SERIAL came along, but they
> are now deprecated for user tables.  WITHOUT OIDS will be the default
> in a future release.

Indeed, that will be the default in 8.1, if we stick to the previous
discussions on -hackers. 8.0 introduces a GUC variable
"default_with_oids" that controls whether OIDs are added to tables by
default. In 8.0 this will be true by default (so 8.0 will behave exactly
the same as earlier releases), but I'll be pushing for it to be set to
false for 8.1.

-Neil