Re: Int64 (long long) Supporting Compiler Requirement Status? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Int64 (long long) Supporting Compiler Requirement Status?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Butler <butlerm@middle.net> writes:
> However, my question is:  Are we to the point where int64's can be used in
> mainstream code yet, or are there supported platforms that this will not work
> with?  And if not, when (if ever) will such capability be standardized?

I don't foresee ever being willing to *require* int64 support.  It'll
always be optional.

> The reason why I ask is I would like to experiment with a variable length
> base-(2^32) numeric type that I hope might be accepted someday, and
> base-(2^32) operations need long long support to implement in a
> straightforward fashion.

I really doubt that base 2^32 would be enough faster than base 10000 to
be worth taking any portability risks for.