Re: Fast Forward (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Fast Forward (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Not that it shouldn't be fixed.  I just don't get worked up over it.
>
> Well, in a way I regret bringing it to the attention of the community --
> just in a small way.
>
> But at the same time I realized that I was not the right one at that
> time to craft a reply -- after all, I'm a Baptist preacher.  And we tend
> towards the 'getting worked up' side of things.  So I've learned that
> there are times I shouldn't post at all.  Although, that's been a long
> hard learning experience, one that I am still, to use my wife's
> charitable words, 'gaining mastery of.'

Funny you should mention this, because I was going to post something
about this today too.

Some people have wondered why I don't comment on some postings that
obviously relate to me.  I avoid rapidly replying to topics that attack
me, my employer, my religious beliefs, or other things that are
personally related to me.  The reason is that my entering the discussion
may prevent people from openly expressing their opinions on the topic,
and that is usually bad.

Whether I agree with their opinions or not, they are valid feelings
people have.  In a way, all feelings are valid.  If someone feels a
certain way, you can't argue they don't feel that way, because obviously
they do.

You can tell people why they shouldn't feel a certain way, but
preventing them from expressing their feelings is usually a bad thing,
unless their expression is hurting other people.  (Hurting my feelings
is OK.)

I usually sit back until everyone's cards/feelings are on the table, and
then decide if my saying anything will help or hurt.

Pennsylvania19026