Re: logical decoding / rewrite map vs. maxAllocatedDescs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: logical decoding / rewrite map vs. maxAllocatedDescs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/11/2018 04:18 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:

>>> I think the fix can be as simple as attached ... I'm mostly afk for the
>>> weekend, so I'll commit & backpatch on Monday or so.
>>
>> LGTM.  While you're at it, would you fix the misspelling three lines
>> below this?
>>
>>  * Check whether the TransactionOId 'xid' is in the pre-sorted array 'xip'.
>>                                 ^
>
> Sure.

I've pushed this, and backpatched it all the way back to 9.4 where
logical decoding was introduced.

While this resolves the way to run out of file descriptors, I wonder if
there are other trivial ways to trigger it (say, long-running
transaction spanning many 'vacuum full pg_class' runs). Not sure, will
try later.

The other question is whether errors are handled correctly - as reported
initially, I've seen this to trigger

ERROR:  XX000: subtransaction logged without previous top-level txn record

I assume just fixing the error did not really fix that, so that if
something else fails we might end up in the same state.

regards