database backup throws errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Molz
Subject database backup throws errors
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi folks,

we´re running PostgreSQL 8.4.7 for an CRM System on a Linux machine. Database contains about 540 tables with summary about 2.5 million records. Since this weeks the backup stops with an error message always at the same table. It´s irrelevant what tool we use to backup (pgAdmin III, pg_dump from a windows client; backup on the Linux machine directly, …), error stays the same.

On Windows pg_dump reports:

pg_dump: Dumping the contents of table "gdvaus" failed: PQgetCopyData() failed.

pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection unexpectedly

            before or while processing the request.

pg_dump: The command was: COPY iwm.gdvaus (nvirtnr, ngesell, ngdvsatz, nimplauf, ngdvteilsatz, cagentur, cgesellnr, cpolnn, csatzart, cspartenr, iadresskz, ifolgenr, nfiliale, nfilaender, msatz) TO stdout;

pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

The log contains the following lines:

2011-04-05 17:57:35 CEST STATEMENT:  COPY iwm.gdvaus (nvirtnr, ngesell, ngdvsatz, nimplauf, ngdvteilsatz, cagentur, cgesellnr, cpolnn, csatzart, cspartenr, iadresskz, ifolgenr, nfiliale, nfilaender, msatz) TO stdout;

2011-04-05 17:57:35 CEST LOG:  SSL-error: unsafe legacy renegotiation disabled

While searching for a solution to the first notification “PQgetCopyData() failed” I found some notes about a possible OOM Kill so I monitored RAM Usage during the backup and found out that this is not the reason; none of the PostgreSQL processes catches more than about 15 MB and there´s enough free Memory left.

Furthermore, I found a hint to the SSL connection problem. It was recommended to add the parameter ssl_renegotiation_limit with value 0 to postgresql.conf to turn off the SSL renegotiation. As I do this, database system will not start again.

Does anyone have some more hints for me?

Thanks a lot for all responses.

Greetings

Michael

--