Re: Maintaining the list of release changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Maintaining the list of release changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> What I'd suggest is that we keep a plaintext file somewhere near the
>> top of the CVS tree (in doc/ perhaps) that developers append
>> release-notes items to as the work is completed.  At the end of each
>> development cycle, Bruce can prepare the "nice looking" notes from that
>> source and then reset the file to empty for the next cycle.

> This (and later CVS log based ideas) don't really address my point #1:
> keeping users informed.

That's a valid complaint against CVS-log-based notes, since most people
probably don't have or know how to use tools like cvs2cl.  I don't see
why it's an argument against my idea of a dedicated text file, though.
Such a file would be just as readily found as release.sgml, possibly
more so.

> Secondly, why do double work if you can just do it right the first time?

A fair point.

I am still concerned about the prospect of either release.sgml or
a dedicated file becoming commit bottlenecks because everyone is
constantly hitting them (and in approximately the same place, too).
However, we probably can't know how big an annoyance that will be
in practice unless we try it.