Re: Maintaining the list of release changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Maintaining the list of release changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I suppose we all thought that the change wouldn't bite anyone.

I wasn't expecting such vocal complaints, for sure.

> Tom, at the time, did you think it should be mentioned in the release
> notes?

I can't recall if I thought about it in that way.  If I had, I would
have said "yes", but I don't recall if I considered the point.  I've
always made a habit of writing reasonably detailed commit messages and
then leaving it to you to decide whether a release note is needed.

Part of the point of this discussion, I think, is just to make sure that
committers consider "should there be a release note for this change?"
every time they commit.  Thinking about that, and writing down the
appropriate info immediately if a note is needed, are the critical steps.