Re: Local User Group List - Need Help! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Local User Group List - Need Help!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On May 14, 2013, at 4:42 AM, damien clochard wrote:

> Le 14/05/2013 12:19, Dimitri Fontaine a écrit :
>> damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> writes:
>>> Please note that the PostgreSQLFr association is the "french speaking"
>>> user group.
>>
>> Is that a user group at all?
>
> It depends on your definition of "PUG" :)
>
> If it's a group of PostgreSQL users doing things together to promote
> PostgreSQL, then I guess the PostgreSQLFr association can be treated as
> a PUG.

The page is to promote "local user groups" which would be groups primarily accessible in whatever locale they are.  The
aimis to drive a more active participating PostgreSQL community by enabling organic growth in particular regions and
citiesthrough meetups, activities, etc.  Probably a good measure of local activity would be having at least one meetup
orconference per year.

This where PG.FR is interesting - it straddles both being a local user group while having a  more global reach based on
acommon language.  With that said, I would recommend to leave the listing as is, until more local groups start up in
France,but would add a listing to other countries that have a PG.FR representative there so people are aware that they
couldcontact / join PG.FR for more a more localized community.  That way we know that there are regional contacts
acrossthe space that PG.FR covers.

Best,

Jonathan