Re: Future Non-server Windows support??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Haught
Subject Re: Future Non-server Windows support???
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/3/2019 7:30 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> Bill Haught wrote:
>> My main concern is that Microsoft has Enterprise versions of Windows and
>> versions for everything else which makes me wonder if at some point
>> Windows versions for desktop use may not have features needed by some
>> database applications or differences between the versions may be enough
>> to necessitate slight tweaks to code and compiling additional versions.
>
> Speaking as a semi-ignorant, I had the impressions that all Windows versions
> are pretty similar under the hood (with occasional annoying behavior changes),
> and most of the differences are on the GUI level, while the C API is pretty
> much the same.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

For some reason my previous message went to one member and not the
group.  I keep getting Wrigley's gum treatment, two of each.

I assume you mean from the perspectives of administrators and
"end-lusers" (as many in the GPL / Open Source world would say)?

"...most Windows 95 applications still run fine in Windows 10 - that's
20 years of binary compatibility"  See Major Linux Problems on the
Desktop, 2018 edition by Artem S. Tashkinov
https://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

And yes there are critical differences between Windows Versions.  It use
to be that you could not put Home on a domain.  Even if you have Pro
versions you probably still need a Server or Enterprise version to do
so.  I suspect using the usual peer-to-peer networking to big one of
many major sources of hassles (with lack of a package manager and a
package format that requires the information needed to clean uninstall
or just create a new sets of ini and registry files and boot menu
entries being numero uno, ¿entiende?).  Home version does not have Group
Policy.  You cannot set (Enable) "No auto-restart with logged on users
for scheduled automatic updates installations" under
%SystemRoot%\System32\mmc.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\gpedit.msc > Local
Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
Components\Windows Update  I am betting the Enterprise version is very
different under the hood and optimized for very heavy multitasking, disk
access and whatever else is needed in that environment.

Micro$oft has a habit of putting in features and then taking them away,
hence my concern.

If only Darling got half the support Wine does, they'd probably have
something functional, unlike the quarter-baked Wine.

I really wish Linux or Linux plus Darling was a real alternative to
Winblows.