Re: Latest cygwin always crashing with Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From s0lao@netscape.net (S. L.)
Subject Re: Latest cygwin always crashing with Postgres
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Seth,

[...]
>"Owner" (which is my username).  It only finds databases named "template1"
>and "template0".  Could this be a problem with initdb?  I.e. was initdb
>supposed to store a database matching my username?
[...]

Oh, actually it's not a problem with initdb, it just creates template1 and template0 databases _owned_ by "Owner" user.
It'snot supposed to store a "Owner" database. The trick is that if you just "psql [-D /path/to/datadir]" then psql
triesto connect to a database that matches your username. Usually the syntax for psql is "psql [options] <database>".
Butthe crashing of the postmaster when not finding a database is not usual.

Recalling this thread I saw you always passed simply "pgdata" to "-D " option (either initdb, postmaster or whatever).
It'snot a good habit. A full pathname is the recommended approach, i.e. not "-D pgdata", but "-D /your/path/to/pgdata".
Abetter approach is to set the PGDATA variable to this path.

SLao