Re: Transaction ID wraparound: problem and proposed solution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Transaction ID wraparound: problem and proposed solution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
>> * disk space --- letting pg_log grow without bound isn't a pleasant
>> prospect either.

> How will 2x size increase of xid cause "boundless" growth of pg_log ;)

OK, 2^64 isn't mathematically unbounded, but let's see you buy a disk
that will hold it ;-).  My point is that if we want to think about
allowing >4G transactions, part of the answer has to be a way to recycle
pg_log space.  Otherwise it's still not really practical.