Re: PostGIS Integration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostGIS Integration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Those two cases are not hard, because in those scenarios the parser
>> knows it is expecting a type specification.  The real problem is this
>> syntax for typed literals:
>> typename 'string'

> Just disallow that particular case for custom types :P

Well, maybe we could --- comments?  Tom Lockhart went to some lengths to
support that, but now that he's gafiated we could perhaps rethink it.
AFAICS the SQL spec only requires this syntax for certain built-in types.
Tom wanted to generalize that to all datatypes that Postgres supports,
and that seems like a reasonable goal ... but if it prevents getting to
other reasonable goals then we ought to think twice.

> Will this work:  'string'::typename

Yes, since the :: cues the parser to expect a typename next.