Re: [GENERAL] Making sure \timing is on - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Making sure \timing is on
Date
List pgsql-patches
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:36:57AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Uh, my point was that the agreement was to do this to *all* of
>>> psql's toggling backslash commands, not only \timing.
>>
>> Done :)

Hmm, I thought we had a lot more than three that were like this.
But on looking closer, I guess all the other ones are \pset boolean
options that already behave properly.

Actually, \a and \H are fairly bogus anyway, because they are "toggling"
a setting that has more than two values.  I wonder whether defining the
argument as a boolean is really very sane.  Perhaps it would be better to
take the argument if given as just a regular format setting --- ie,
with an argument, either of these would just be a shorthand for
\pset format.

            regards, tom lane