Re: control max length of parameter values logged - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexey Bashtanov
Subject Re: control max length of parameter values logged
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,
>> +        If greater than zero, bind parameter values reported in non-error
>> +        statement-logging messages are trimmed to no more than this many bytes.
> Can I suggest to say:
>
> "Limit bind parameter values reported by non-error statement-logging messages
> to this many bytes". Or,
>
> "The maximum length of bind parameter values to log with non-error
> statement-logging messages".
Okay I'll rephrase.
> Could you make zero a normal value and -1 the "special" value to disable
> trimming ?
>
> Setting to zero will avoid displaying parameters at all, setting to -1 wil
> display values in full.
I can, but then for the sake of consistency I'll have to do the same for
log_parameter_max_length.
Then we'll end up with two ways to enable/disable parameter logging on
error:
using the primary boolean setting and setting length to 0.
One of them will require superuser privileges, the other one won't.
Do you think it's okay? I have no objections but I'm a bit worried
someone may find it clumsy.

Best, Alex