Re: recovery_target_action=pause with confusing hint - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From movead.li@highgo.ca
Subject Re: recovery_target_action=pause with confusing hint
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>Thanks for the explanation again! Maybe I understand your point.
Great.

>As far as I read the code, in the standby mode, the startup process
>periodically checks the trigger file in WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable().
>No?
Yes it is.

>There can be small delay between the creation of the trigger file
>and the periodic call to CheckForStandbyTrigger() by the startup process.
>If you execute pg_wal_replay_pause() during that delay, it would suceed.
If there be a huge number of wal segments need a standby to rewind,
then it can not be a 'small delay'.

>But you'd like to get rid of that delay completely? In other words,
>both the startup process and the backend calling pg_wal_replay_pause()
>should detect the existence of the trigger file immdiately after
>it's created?
I want to point out the thing, the pg_wal_replay_pause() shows success but
the startup process keeping redo, it may cause something confused. So it's
better to solve the issue.

Regards,
Highgo Software (Canada/China/Pakistan)
EMAIL: mailto:movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca