Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dawid Kuroczko
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
[...]
>  As far as the Wiki page is concerned, it would be good to make sure the
>  entries have a bit more info than just a header line -- things such as
>  "author", who reviewed and what did the reviewer say about it.
>
>  Some of it is already there.
>
>  Something else we learned is that the archives are central (well, we
>  already knew that, but I don't think we had ever given them so broad
>  use), and we've been making changes to them so that they are more useful
>  to reviewers.  Further changes are still needed on them, of course, to
>  address the remaining problems.
>
>  Lastly, I would say that pushing submitters to enter their sent patches
>  into the Wiki worked -- we need to ensure that they keep doing it.

I think this should be explained nicely in developer FAQ.  The whole
process preferably.

As a first time contributor ;) I must say I was (and still am, a bit)
confused about the process.  The FAQ point 1.4 says to discuss
it on -hakers unless its a trivial patch.

I thought the patch would be trivial, sent it to -patches. Then, later
on I thought that perhaps it should be discussed on the -hackers
nonetheless, so I have written there also: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00147.php
then the patch got rejected, if I understand correctly.

Now assuming I want to prepare patch for something else, at what
point does Wiki come in?  Should I send it to -patches and put it on
wiki?  Or perhaps wait for some developer's suggestion "put it on
the wiki"?  Should I start discussion on -hackers or is -patches enough?
I know that with time they look trivial -- but at least I felt quite uncertain
about them when sending first patch. .

Don't forget to update developer FAQ as well. :)
 Regards,   Dawid