Re: Would a BGW need shmem_access or database_connection to enumeratedatabases? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: Would a BGW need shmem_access or database_connection to enumeratedatabases?
Date
Re: Would a BGW need shmem_access or database_connection to enumerate databases?  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/29/2017 05:48 PM, Chapman Flack wrote:
> I'm thinking of writing a background worker that will enumerate
> the databases present, and spin off, for each one, another BGW
> that will establish a connection and do stuff.

Can I even do this?

 "Unlike RegisterBackgroundWorker, which can only be called
  from within the postmaster, RegisterDynamicBackgroundWorker
  must be called from a regular backend."

Can I call RegisterDynamicBackgroundWorker when not in the postmaster,
but also not in a "regular backend", but rather another BGW?

Put another way, can a BGW be regarded as a "regular backend" for the
purpose of this rule?

-Chap