Re: compile error of PostgreSQL 7.2 on FreeBSD-current - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: compile error of PostgreSQL 7.2 on FreeBSD-current
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The standards specify (effectively) that sys/types.h must be included
> before grp.h.  This can be considered stupid, but it's not really
> FreeBSD's fault.

Possibly I'm spoiled: HPUX gets this right.

I ran the same experiment Bruce mentioned, and found that of 192 headers
in HPUX 10.20's /usr/include directory, all but 24 compiled with no
additional inclusions.  The failing headers were

alarm.h dcnodes.h dmapi.h dumprestor.h dvio.h elog.h eucioctl.h
execargs.h exportent.h fbackup.h hard_reg.h initptr.h lc_core.h
m4_frame.h m4_reg.h pfm.h ppfm.h prot.h sad.h soft_reg.h std_space.h
term.h xds.h xomi.h

which are mostly not standardized headers.

The failure rate was higher in the subdirectories of /usr/include, but
that's not surprising.  A lot of the headers underneath /usr/include/sys
don't look like they're even intended to be compiled in userland code.