Re: Detaching database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory S. Williamson
Subject Re: Detaching database
Date
List pgsql-general
Petr,

As long as the new server is the same operating system, and the versions of postgres are the same, you can do a binary
copyof the data directory and move it to the new machine, point the new server's postgres to the copied and data and
startit up. Indexes, statistics, etc. all are intact and ready to go. On the negative side I think you need to idle the
sourcedatabase during the initial copy.

We've done this to move databases in the 5-10 gigabyte range on postgres 7.4.

I am not familiar with those other database's capabilities so if mu humble suggestion is not what you want, a bit more
informationabout the problem might be of help.

HTH,

Greg Williamson