Re: Detaching database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Detaching database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 15:49:43 -0800,
  "Gregory S. Williamson" <gsw@globexplorer.com> wrote:
> Petr,
>
> As long as the new server is the same operating system, and the versions of postgres are the same, you can do a
binarycopy of the data directory and move it to the new machine, point the new server's postgres to the copied and data
andstart it up. Indexes, statistics, etc. all are intact and ready to go. On the negative side I think you need to idle
thesource database during the initial copy.

As a clarification, 'versions are the same' needs to be more strict than the
version number (e.g. 8.1.1) and should include the build options, as some
build options (notably --enable-integer-datetimes) change the format used
for data.