RE: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Verite
Subject RE: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date
RE: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
    Fabien COELHO wrote:

> >> IMHO this new setting should be on by default: few people know about \; so
> >> it would not change anything for most, and I do not see why those who use
> >> it would not be interested by the results of all the queries they asked for.
> > I agree with your opinion.
>
> Ok. I did not yet change the default in the attached version, though.

I'd go further and suggest that there shouldn't be a variable
controlling this. All results that come in should be processed, period.
It's not just about \; If the ability of CALL to produce multiple
resultsets gets implemented (it was posted as a POC during v11
development), this will be needed too.

> This attached version does:
>  - ensure that warnings appear just before its
>  - add the entry in psql's help
>  - redefine the function boundary so that timing is cleaner
>  - include somehow improved tests

\errverbose seems to no longer work with the patch:

test=> select 1/0;
psql: ERROR:  division by zero

test=> \errverbose
There is no previous error.

as opposed to this output with PG11:

test=> \errverbose
ERROR:    22012: division by zero
LOCATION:  int4div, int.c:820

\errverbose has probably no regression tests because its output
includes these ever-changing line numbers; hence `make check`
cannot be used to find this regression.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité