Re: [HACKERS] ANALYZE command progress checker - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From vinayak
Subject Re: [HACKERS] ANALYZE command progress checker
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Ashutosh,

On 2017/03/19 17:56, Ashutosh Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't find any major issues with the patch. It works as expected.
> However, I have few minor comments that I would like to share,
>
> +     <entry>
> +       Total number of sample rows. The sample it reads is taken randomly.
> +       Its size depends on the <varname>default_statistics_target</>
> parameter value.
> +     </entry>
>
> 1) I think it would be better if you could specify reference link to
> the guc variable 'default_statistics_target'. Something like this,
>
> <xref linkend='guc-default-statistics-target'>.
>
> If you go through monitoring.sgml, you would find that there is
> reference link to all guc variables being used.
+1. Updated in the attached patch.

> 2) I feel that the 'computing_statistics' phase could have been
> splitted into 'computing_column_stats', 'computing_index_stats'....
> Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Initially I have spitted this phase as 'computing heap stats' and
'computing index stats' but
I agreed with Roberts suggestion to merge two phases into one as
'computing statistics'.
> +   certain commands during command execution.  Currently, the command
> +   which supports progress reporting is <command>VACUUM</> and
> <command>ANALYZE</>.  This may be
>      expanded in the future.
>
> 3) I think above needs to be rephrased. Something like...Currently,
> the supported progress reporting commands are 'VACUUM' and
> 'ANALYZE'.
+1. Updated in the attached patch.
> Moreover, I also ran your patch on Windows platform and didn't find
> any issues. Thanks.
Thank you for testing the patch on Windows platform.

Regards,
Vinayak Pokale
NTT Open Source Software Center