Re: row wise comparison broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: row wise comparison broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yes, I found the following thread started by you in the
> pgsql-performance list:
>
> Subject: [PERFORM] best way to fetch next/prev record based on index
> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 06:18:43 -0700
>
> > there were some concerns about backwards compatibility.
>
> IMO 8.0 is a good chance to fix it. Maybe we could add a GUC switch to
> fall back to pre-8.0 behavior...
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii

Here is a link to Tom's thoughts on possible approaches to implementing
a fix, and why this is A Lot More Complicated Than It Seems (tm),
particularly if taken to the next logical step where the planner could
make use of the row-wise comparison to make more intelligent decisions
about index selection.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-07/msg00218.php

Still, I think the current behavior is wrong...and is exactly the kind
of trick question that a sql compliance benchmark might ask.

Merlin