Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> > To refresh, here's the list of everything we might want to
> spend money on:
> >
> > 1. PostgreSQL.org infrastructure (servers, bandwidth,
> sysadmins, SSL, etc.)
> >     (unlikely to need money, but if it does, the highest priority)
>
> There's one area regarding postgresql.org infrastructure that
> I think we could enhance that would benefit the community
> pretty greatly.
>
> Could the PostgreSQL infrastructure itself serve as an
> example of best practices and/or interesting use of
> PostgreSQL --- and have the source for the apps poswering
> postgresql.org be available on pgfoundry/gborg?
>
> I can think of a couple examples:
>
>   * Is search on the postgresql web site or docs or mailing list
>     archives powered by tsearch2 or some sgml indexing feature
>     or some other postgresql cool feature I don't know about?
>     Could it be?  Could we see how it's done?  I think the docs would
>     be especially interesting if it indexes the sgml; and I think
>     the mailing list archives are a pretty nice example of a fairly
>     large scale search database.

This is being worked on right now.

>     I've been asked why PostgreSQL.org's search apparently uses
>     ASPSeek and ASPSeek's docs claim the supported database are
>     "it can be mysql or oracle8 for now."  (Though I've been told
>     in postgresql.org's case it's actually backed by PG, that's
>     not obvious anywhere.)

We have a special version of ASPSeek that works with Pg. Unfortunatly
the upstream maintainers didn't want our patches, if I understodd the
situation right. One of the reasons we are migrating off it.

>   * I seem to recall a developer map somewhere. Was it generated
>     by PostGIS?  If not, note that pretty impressive maps can
>     be generated from PostgreSQL/PostGIS like the links below [1,2,3]
>     All of these are dynamically generated (change the mapxy or
>     scale parameters if you don't believe me) from a 90GB postgresql
>     database of individual road segments; and it works pretty well
>     and IMHO would make a pretty nice demo and example of how to
>     use that feature?

That could be a nice demo, yes.

>   * Is the postgresql.org adserver powered by postgresql?  That
>     too would be interesting to many small site webmasters if
>     the source were available.

I don't know. It would IMHO be much better to get rid of the ads and use
whatever little funding needed to replace that.

>   * Is postgresql.org itself a database-backed web site?  How
>     about showing the source for that on pgfoundry as an
>     example web site?

It is, but it uses a reasonably advanced static mirroring system. The
source is on gborg, project "pgweb".

//Magnus