Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?
List pgsql-advocacy
> I can think of a couple examples:
>
>   * Is search on the postgresql web site or docs or mailing list
>     archives powered by tsearch2 or some sgml indexing feature
>     or some other postgresql cool feature I don't know about?
>     Could it be?  Could we see how it's done?  I think the docs would
>     be especially interesting if it indexes the sgml; and I think
>     the mailing list archives are a pretty nice example of a fairly
>     large scale search database.

This is something that is kind of being worked on right now. You will be
able to submit a keyword that will return docs based on the keyword.
Versus a fuzzy search.

>     I've been asked why PostgreSQL.org's search apparently uses
>     ASPSeek and ASPSeek's docs claim the supported database are
>     "it can be mysql or oracle8 for now."  (Though I've been told
>     in postgresql.org's case it's actually backed by PG, that's
>     not obvious anywhere.)

Yes it is using PostgreSQL, but we are moving to 8.2 with PHP +
GIN/Tsearch to do our new search engine.

>   * I seem to recall a developer map somewhere. Was it generated
>     by PostGIS?  If not, note that pretty impressive maps can
>     be generated from PostgreSQL/PostGIS like the links below [1,2,3]
>     All of these are dynamically generated (change the mapxy or
>     scale parameters if you don't believe me) from a 90GB postgresql
>     database of individual road segments; and it works pretty well
>     and IMHO would make a pretty nice demo and example of how to
>     use that feature?

That would be very, very cool. To automatically generate maps of all the
contributors. You up for the task, we could use a volunteer :) (never
suggest unless you can do ;))

>   * Is the postgresql.org adserver powered by postgresql?  That
>     too would be interesting to many small site webmasters if
>     the source were available.

This is going away entirely soon.

>   * Is postgresql.org itself a database-backed web site?  How
>     about showing the source for that on pgfoundry as an
>     example web site?

The entire PostgreSQL -WWW project can be downloaded now from gborg.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/