Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?
Date
Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:

> To refresh, here's the list of everything we might want to spend money on:
>
> 1. PostgreSQL.org infrastructure (servers, bandwidth, sysadmins, SSL, etc.)
>     (unlikely to need money, but if it does, the highest priority)

There's one area regarding postgresql.org infrastructure that I think
we could enhance that would benefit the community pretty greatly.

Could the PostgreSQL infrastructure itself serve as an example of
best practices and/or interesting use of PostgreSQL --- and have
the source for the apps poswering postgresql.org be available on
pgfoundry/gborg?

I can think of a couple examples:
 * Is search on the postgresql web site or docs or mailing list   archives powered by tsearch2 or some sgml indexing
feature  or some other postgresql cool feature I don't know about?   Could it be?  Could we see how it's done?  I think
thedocs would   be especially interesting if it indexes the sgml; and I think   the mailing list archives are a pretty
niceexample of a fairly   large scale search database.
   I've been asked why PostgreSQL.org's search apparently uses   ASPSeek and ASPSeek's docs claim the supported
databaseare   "it can be mysql or oracle8 for now."  (Though I've been told   in postgresql.org's case it's actually
backedby PG, that's   not obvious anywhere.)
 * I seem to recall a developer map somewhere. Was it generated   by PostGIS?  If not, note that pretty impressive maps
can  be generated from PostgreSQL/PostGIS like the links below [1,2,3]   All of these are dynamically generated (change
themapxy or   scale parameters if you don't believe me) from a 90GB postgresql   database of individual road segments;
andit works pretty well   and IMHO would make a pretty nice demo and example of how to   use that feature?
 * Is the postgresql.org adserver powered by postgresql?  That   too would be interesting to many small site webmasters
if  the source were available.
 * Is postgresql.org itself a database-backed web site?  How   about showing the source for that on pgfoundry as an
exampleweb site?

I'm sure there are many other areas that might be interesting; but
does the general idea sound reasonable -- fund using the infrastructure
to show rather than just tell about how postgresql can be used?

[1,2,3] (Some nice maps dynamically generated directly from a postgresql
database that I think could turn into a nice example on the web site)
[1] http://64.127.105.202/maps/mapserv?mapxy=-122.39+37.79&scale=10000&layer=land&layer=roads&map=cp.map&mode=map
[2] http://64.127.105.202/maps/mapserv?mapxy=-122.39+37.79&scale=100000&layer=land&layer=roads&map=cp.map&mode=map
[3] http://64.127.105.202/maps/mapserv?mapxy=-122.39+37.79&scale=1000000&layer=land&layer=roads&map=cp.map&mode=map