Re: Upgrading 8.0.2 to 8.0.3 on Windows XP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Upgrading 8.0.2 to 8.0.3 on Windows XP
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hello Giovanni,
>
> I had a similar problem.  I think the windows installer tries
> to create a new service which he can't, since there is
> already one with the same name.  I uninstalled Postgresql but
> told it to keep the data directory, rebooted the machine
> (that's important since only then the old service is removed)
> and installed the new version, using the old data directory.

I've seen this happen a couple of times before, but I have no idea why
it happens :-( This is the correct workaround, though. It should be safe
enough. And note thaty ou don't have to "tell it to keep the data
directory" - the installer will *never* wipe your data directory. What
you have to tell it is not to initialize a new database (though it will
refuse to do this if you specify a directory that already contains a
database, if you specify a different one it will happily configure your
server against that directory instead).

If you manually stop the service first (I'm thinking it's somewhere
around this that the problem actually happens, but I've been unable to
figure out exactly where), you should not need to reboot. But the
installer should tell you if you need it or not.

The hardest part about this, and why this is not the default method, is
that you need to dig out the documentation of what service account
password you used last time you installed it. The upgrade.bat method
re-uses the existing identiy by just replacing the files.

> However, I would still do a dump before :-)

*Always* do a dump before upgrading. Any database, any platform ;-)

//Magnus